Today, one of the first things a passenger getting on a business flight looks for is whether the aircraft has Wi-Fi onboard. Assuming it does, a key consideration beyond the connection is how well the in-cabin Wi-Fi technology supports and manages multiple connections to the same Wi-Fi network from other passenger devices onboard. Without the right technology, the in-cabin “airspace” can become congested when supporting higher-demand online activities – such as streaming video or voice applications.
To accommodate these increasing demands on inflight Wi-Fi networks and to help you better manage the in-cabin connectivity experience, we offer dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi service with our Gogo AVANCE™ inflight connectivity and entertainment solutions. The availability of two Wi-Fi radio frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz) provides up to three cabin Wi-Fi networks that are configurable to access one or both of the radio frequencies.
The additional availability of the 5GHz frequency provides greater throughput than the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi radio and operates in a less congested frequency band. When both bands are used concurrently it can provide a better cabin environment for streaming, ultimately delivering an improved user experience even as more devices connect. Additionally, two Wi-Fi frequencies offer greater flexibility in configuring dedicated networks for flight operations and passenger usage.
Choosing between a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection
Here’s a quick view of the main differences between the two radio frequencies, with some additional detail on how you can choose to connect to the channels based on in-cabin online activities.
- 3 non-overlapping channels (streams)
- Wider network range
- Lower frequency, allowing for better broadcast penetration (through walls, for example)
- Higher interference, as most devices operate in this frequency
- Radio shared between the cabin and virtual FBO (vFBO)
- Cabin - in air
- vFBO - on ground
- 23 non-overlapping channels (streams)
- Shorter network range – requires closer proximity to router
- Higher frequency, with limited ability to penetrate solid walls or objects
- Less interference from other devices – including aircraft appliances and other mobile devices
- Dedicated radio for cabin use – in air and on ground
- Compatible with all wireless connection devices available in the market today
- Most online activities can be managed easily through this frequency
- Fewer restrictions on where you install your router, for passenger access
- Less device traffic on this frequency, offers greater availability of channels
- More channels offer concurrent streaming on multiple device connections
- Higher bandwidth activities are processed faster, given capacity and speed of frequency
- Basic web browsing, shopping online, checking email, reading eBooks
- Managing streaming video and larger data transfers, but depending on network congestion, could sharply reduce performance/ quality of connection
- All online activities, depending on proximity to router
- Streaming media on multiple devices
- Connecting to Gogo Vision, to ensure uninterrupted service in-air and on the ground
- Assigning a dedicated Wi-Fi network for on-aircraft VIPs
Available Gogo AVANCE solutions
Each Gogo AVANCE inflight connectivity and entertainment solution offers dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi service:
- Gogo AVANCE L5: the fully integrated, customizable inflight connectivity and entertainment system that connects to our proven, reliable Gogo Biz 4G network. This system delivers improved broadband speeds with greater capacity to enable streaming and support the data needs of larger passenger loads.
- Gogo AVANCE L3: the flexible, affordable and lightweight inflight connectivity and entertainment system that operates on our proven Gogo Biz network. This system delivers a reliable, productive broadband experience, as well as offers different configurations and service flexibility to accommodate varying needs and budgets.
- SCS Elite: the Smart Cabin System that allows operators to fully-integrate, and enhance, their cabin technologies, and give passengers a single interface that makes it easier for them to use all available cabin services.
- SCS Media: the small, lightweight inflight entertainment and information system that powers an immersive, on-demand “show time” experience starring moving maps, movies, TV, magazines, destination weather and more.
If you’re ready to learn more, connect with a Gogo inflight connectivity consultant. We’re ready to answer your questions and help you make the right investment specific to your inflight Wi-Fi needs.